Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with my agreed value

96 Pre VVTI Facelift Club Member tayr's Avatar
    Feedback
    Most reputable insurers with some knowledge will know their worth and will offer you an appropriate agreed value.

Just make sure you're with the right insurer

Feedback
    44 (100%)
    The way I see it at present is nothing/very little is selling at these high prices.

Certainly has any auto actually sold over 20K, what's the highest anyone knows of in recent history?

The red ebay one looks minty at 21,995 genuine low miles, able to export to USA but certainly not been 'snapped' up.......and it's saying sensible offers taken, maybe/probably 20K accepted? which if you look at 14K being probably seen as a "bargain", "way to cheap" then the 20K one is too given it's condition and probable lack of required work?

But an ok/slightly tatty, 14K auto isn't selling any quicker right now in all probability? The market seems to be people sticking to their high price guns and people holding off/biding their time/choosing something else?
    Number 8 ...........doing my best to keep
    Number 9 ........been and gone!
    Number 10 ........on its way

The Non-PC Club Member Frank Bullitt's Avatar
    Feedback
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rider View Post
    Not any longer, I'm no longer, as of the back end of last year, in the market for a second Supra so I am no longer following the market in any great depth and details. If valuations are not to become adopted as an official forum function in the revamp then someone else will need to step in to offer up a 2020 value thread if the series is to be continued. Hopefully people have found the valuations threads of some use but my input is very much of its time and time moves on.
    A thread in the members section is definitely needed, it would specifically have to be in the members only section and it would have to be managed by one person. Members would have to be proactive and put in as much as they would get out of it. Unfortunately I can't see that happening. You only need to look at the thread Dunk started to see how little thanks was given to him for all this time and effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    I don't disagree with your assessment, but it irks me massively that insurers can dig in on the low 6K type offer (I remember it was high miles, but it would 100% break for more) when really if your car is written off you should be able to roughly afford a replacement. That to me is the very basis of fully comp insurance, I got lucky on one of my Supra buys, but if I'm unlucky enough to write it off I would need more than I paid originally to replace it. They seem (and it's fair enough) all to quick to follow the depreciation curves down with the market on newer cars but not appreciating.

'Asking' prices are a bit mad but when was the last sub 10K tt of any type? would it last 5 mins on the usual selling sites?

I would fight long and hard to get something reasonable..............or perhaps I should also enquire about agreed value, but really if the insurers are on the ball (ie doing their bloody job) it should only be needed for niche, heavily modified or very low miles stuff, we shouldn't IMO have to agree value every single Supra!?
    I'm not sure which book my friend at Toyota looked in as the Glasses Guide doesn't go back that far but when I asked (out of interest) what the book value was on the Supra in 2017 he came back with 4,250 which would tie in with the 6K payout Lbm received.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    The way I see it at present is nothing/very little is selling at these high prices.

Certainly has any auto actually sold over 20K, what's the highest anyone knows of in recent history?

The red ebay one looks minty at 21,995 genuine low miles, able to export to USA but certainly not been 'snapped' up.......and it's saying sensible offers taken, maybe/probably 20K accepted? which if you look at 14K being probably seen as a "bargain", "way to cheap" then the 20K one is too given it's condition and probable lack of required work?

But an ok/slightly tatty, 14K auto isn't selling any quicker right now in all probability? The market seems to be people sticking to their high price guns and people holding off/biding their time/choosing something else?
    Time of year will be one factor.

Another is that there are too many tarted up cars out there that belong to owners with delusions of grandeur so buyers can afford to be picky. The well looked after examples get snapped up quickly, the rest just sit with their blinkered owners until some poor unsuspecting soul comes along with more money than sense.

When at the MOT station in last year my missus was approached by a guy (not sure if he was serious or not) who offered us a 25K. When she refused, he was genuinely shocked.

If we had sold her, what would we get for 25K that is this iconic and fun to drive. I know we would struggle to find the car we have today for 25K.
    Last edited by Frank Bullitt; 15-03-19 at 19:54. Reason: Spelling.

I'm part of the furniture Club Member Dnk's Avatar
    Feedback
    15 (100%)
    I wasn't after any thanks but zero input from anyone says it all really, 358 views !!!
    Dunk

Feedback
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dnk View Post
    I wasn't after any thanks but zero input from anyone says it all really
    I remember chatting with you via PM about this. This was done by you for the benefit of club members, unfortunately the club bond that once existed here seems a little fragmented. It is all part and parcel of living in an "I Want It Now" society.

Got the shiny bug. Club Member ripped_fear's Avatar
    Feedback
    95 (100%)
    Just chucking in my 2p's worth, you are all looking at this wrong. Agreed valuation is not the resale value of a car, everyone seems to forget that. Agreed valuation is designed that in the event of a crash you could by the same car again or build said car.

So look at the receipts for your car (you have to be able to back up your figure) and go from there, as a guide take the average car to your spec on the market and add the costs of your mods/preventative maintenance parts, and hey presto there is your figure.

Say a NA auto is highly modified with a genuine untastful body kit, boot build, engine mods, wheels, air ride etc etc, the cars resale would be low say sub 7k but if you can prove all those mods would cost say 15k alone, then add that to the going rate NA auto and the agreed value would be big money despite the car on the market being 'worth' a fraction of this
    Last edited by ripped_fear; 15-03-19 at 20:16.
    I went from a 220bhp Sapphire Cosworth > Supra TT BPU circa 400 BHP......................BUt dont worry I had plenty of experiance on Mario Kart -scotty71
    If you were an engine would you like JP as your owner:-)? I'd report him to the RSPCE (Royal Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Engines).-Chris Wilson
    That was SupraPond 2010. WaspyPod was a corker, never seen to many wasps in one place.-Branners
    I am bad, but then I'm not a moderator....Im so much more.-Branners
    You are bloody nuts. Nothing comes close dude, what the hell would you replace it with? A GTR, that's like going from Kiera Knightley to Susan Boyle.-Supra Gaz

Posting is my life! Club Member T2 MSW's Avatar
    Feedback
    43 (100%)
    well said Jake

Feedback
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ripped_fear View Post
    So look at the receipts for your car (you have to be able to back up your figure) and go from there, as a guide take the average car to your spec on the market and add the costs of your mods/preventative maintenance parts, and hey presto there is your figure.
    You say that but what I have spent to date, which is all provable with receipts, is in excess of the agreed value on my car. Sky wouldn't go past 25K. After a lot of hard work I managed to get Flux higher but it was akin to getting blood from a stone as none of their insurers were happy with what I wanted. I provided photo copies of every receipt (2" thick), 25+ adverts (Japan & UK) from various sites and 100+ high res photos of the car and all work carried out to date.

I think I read Westy had issues getting his 1A1 insured for a decent price and thats a real unicorn. The insurance companies are treating these cars as having a negative equity of sorts for some reason.

So yes, ideally that is exactly what you should do. I have even spouted the same rhetoric to others on here but from personal experience and reading the experience of others I would say the reality differs quite a bit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12